Noise supression for HF radio???

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 16:50
ThreadID: 25671 Views:2703 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Our trailblaza fridge is interfering with the HF radio reception. When the fridge cycles on, the noise over the radio sounds like a bag full of crickets! Both fridge and radio run off the second battery but with seperate wiring and different paths for the cables. No problem when the fridge is not running.

Anyone know how I can supress this interference?? Using seperate batteries is not an option, and it wouldn't help anyway I suspect. Vehicle is an 80 series diesel. The fridge has a late model danfoss compressor and electronics. Nothing else is causing the noise - only the fridge.

TIA
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol with it all - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 17:13

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 17:13
Hi Tony
I know friends of ours had the same trouble wtih their Waeco and they took it in and had a plate put in it near the compressor and it stopped the noise in their HF. Maybe if you rang a fridge fix it man they can do it for you. Our friends had theirs done at battery world and it cost them $20.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 125592

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 17:24

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 17:24
Footloose will be one of the best people on here to answer that question.
I'm sure he will be along shortly.

You could also ask it here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/codan_outback_radio/

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 125593

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:55

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:55
Yo, here I am. Along shortly. heheheh
As others have indicated, radiation from such devices is either due to the electronics or the compressor/motor. Shielding the electronics and putting some supression on the motor is the way to go. Different installations require different "fixes" (although interference minimization might be a better term.)
Capacitors and ferrites on the motor leads may do the trick. If not follow the other posts on shielding.

FollowupID: 380320

Reply By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:18

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:18
Hi Tony,

I had that problem with my boat fridge which also has a danfoss compressor and its associated electronics.
I investigated this nuisance for a long time and tried everything until I came up with a cure.

1. the noise did NOT get transferred via cables, it was picked up by the radio's antenna.

2. putting suppressors in the fridge's and the radio's 12v line made little difference- for the above reason.

3. my boat does have a separate fridge battery, makes no difference to the noise.

What DID make a big difference is clamping an earth wire to a refrigerant pipe ( scrape it clean first) at the compressor end and connecting it directly to the battery negative terminal - use a thick (~ 4 sq mm) separate wire for this.

I then went further for a bells and whistles fix and enclosed the fridge electronics, which were in a plastic box, into a metal diecast box which also was earthed.
This latter idea is not advisable unless you are VERY familiar with electronics as it involved cutting wires and lengthen them slightly - certainly something which would void the warranty.

good luck, it can be a tricky one.

Klaus
AnswerID: 125602

Follow Up By: Tony J - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 19:48

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 19:48
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the info. I'll try earthing as you suggested. Come to think of it, I'll earth the fridge cabinet as well, it's all aluminium, can't hurt. It's a real pain having to turn the fridge off when I need to use the HF.

Thanks again
Tony
FollowupID: 380323

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 21:25

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 21:25
Whilst you are trying to sort out the interference issues I would suggest that you re-wire the HF to the MAIN battery.

HF radio is one of your primary sources of comms and should (in my opinion) be wired to your main battery as it has the least likelyhood of running flat.

Your second battery runs your fridge (and amost certainly some other goodies that you have or will have) and from experience this battery will/may get flattened more often thatn the main and the very time you might need comms you may have issues.

That's why I recommend wiring HF to main battery
AnswerID: 125658

Reply By: Brad G (SA) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 00:19

Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 00:19
Hi
Another option you have is to install a N.E.S. (Noise Eliminating Speaker). I got mine at Electric Bug in Adelaide for around $280. It is a British built unit that has an adjustable level of noise cancellation. I had engine noise coming through and it eliminated it completely, it also boosted faint voice signals from being unreadable to booming through. Even if you don't have a noise problem I would fit one of these as it boosts readable voice immensly. As a previous post said, out bush this your primary method of communication and your life or that of your family may depend on it.
Just my opnion.
Cheers Brad
AnswerID: 125684

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 13:37

Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 13:37
Yep - feral noise from electronic devices is a plague on the modern HF systems - they are so sensistive, that they pick up on all sorts of noise and IF the local noise is stronger than the incoming signal, the latter fades off. The electronics on my Jackaroo really play havoc with the HF - we often stop to have comms wtih people - its then that we jump out and switch the fridge off too !! I been advised by eggspurts to spend litle time and energy trying to cure it - can end up as a huge waste of time.
AnswerID: 125753

Sponsored Links